Monday, July 13, 2009

Big Deal

So we had a big thing happen in our house this weekend, we moved Sammy into a big boy bed (well a toddler bed). I don't think this is a huge deal to most people, but let me tell you why it is such a big deal to us.
Since almost the day Sammy was born he has bean a really good sleeper. He will go to sleep at a reasonable hour and always happy to, and from talking to other mothers he is the only two year old I know that sleeps in until 9:30 or 10:00am most mornings. I hardly ever hear him cry in his crib. If he is not ready to go to sleep he is just happy as pie to stay in his crib and in the morning if he wakes up before I do he just plays with his stuffed animals until I come and get him. However also since almost the day he was born he has only fallen asleep in his crib and the car seat, NEVER has he fallen asleep anywhere else in my house and when we have stayed other places it is a challenge to get him to fall asleep in other beds.
I have gotten more sleep since I had him then I have since before I started elementary school. I almost always just wake up when I am ready, not to an alarm or a child. So maybe you can see now why I would be so hesitent in getting him into a bed. I do realize how lucky I am and I know I may not have another child like this so, in anticipation for a new child I was not ready to give up my sleep.
Knowing that we were going to need the crib for the baby and not wanting to do it when he was already dealing with a new baby, we went and got a bed. I had wanted to just do a regular bed but with our limited space our only option was a toddler bed. We got a cute white one on clearance and it matches the room perfectly. I got him some sheets with cars and trucks on them to help with the transition. Then on saturday night was our first try, he was not very thrilled with the whole thing when it was time to go to bed he walked to his crib and said "bed, bed" . However he did amazing, he did wake up a few times and would cry out "bed", but he also slept in until 9:30am so I was feeling really good about it. Then yesterday when I tried to put him down for a nap, yeah right he played with his toys the whole time. Then last night he fell off the bed, but slept in again today and now I put him down for a late nap and he is asleep in the bed. So, pretty good I would say so far. I am just hoping that we can keep this trend up, then maybe just maybe we will start potty training. Wish us luck!!

6 comments:

Susan and Vince Stroud said...

Yeah for Sammy. I showed the picture to Austin and asked him if he wanted a bed like Sammy has and he said "yeah"!

Heidi said...

wow, I think it is a big deal to. Especially because I know how much you love your sleep. I hope your next baby is the same way.
We miss you guys and need to do something as soon as we get back. Sammy is getting so big and I can not even belive it.

Allie said...

That is a big deal! Those first days of them figuring out how to sleep in the bed and actually go to sleep rather than play with all the toys they have access to is tricky. What a cute bed you got him! I love it.

Sara Jane said...

SAMMY I LOVE YOU!!!!! And em yeah your right about the blog. Now I don't know what to do!!

Brooke said...

He's such a cutie! It's so crazy when your first-born takes those big steps. How fun!!

Lori Deschamps said...

I COMPLETELY understand why you say it is a big deal to move him to a bed. I felt that way with every one of my kids. I am so glad to hear that he has done so well and sleeps in. My kids all sleep in too and I feel so lucky! I am the same way - I NEED my sleep and I'm a bear when I don't get it! :) You are such a good mom!